Tuesday, February 6, 2018

This is Us

I'm sure you've heard of all the buzz around the show, "This is Us." (OR maybe you were too tired to watch the "big episode" after the Eagles accepted their trophy Sunday night?!? hmm...) In case you're unfamiliar, here's how imbd.com would like to catch you up on the plot summary of the show:

"The Pearson family's generational story unfolds in this emotional drama. In moments of love, joy, triumph and heartbreak, revelations emerge from parents Jack and Rebecca's past, while triplets Kate, Randall and Kevin discover deeper meaning in their present day lives."

You see, the power of this show lies in the family's flashbacks which show us the way the kids were valued, supported, and interacted with when they were young. Through reminiscing on the past, the creators of the show are able to demonstrate the impact their childhood has had on their current life as adults.

I can't help but wonder, "what if we were all charged with telling the 'story of us'? What shaped you? What significant memories from your upbringing have influenced what you stand for, believe in, and how you function as a member of society today?"

While visiting a school last week, I was talking with a teacher about a recent conference she had regarding two siblings... same grade level but one participates in 'gifted & talented (GT)' courses, while the other does not. The girls' parents were advocating for their daughter who did not take GT courses to be retested as they felt she was demonstrating a different set of skills at home than what was being articulated by the teachers at school. As the teacher was telling me this story, I noticed my ability to listen was shifting a bit... I was having a "This is Us" moment, and decided to share that with the teacher also....

I have a twin sister, Molly...she's awesome!

In second grade (which is where my flashback took me,) she and I tested into an "advanced" track (because clearly your knowledge as an 8 year old should determine your path for the future....sorry...soapbox...I'm stepping down now...)  One of us DID test into the "advanced" program while the other did NOT. I don’t remember much about that process, but I remember my dad sitting in the room saying “ if the path for non-advanced kids is good enough for one of my daughters, it will be good enough for both of them.”  My parents knew they didn't want one of us "not feeling good enough" and didn't want the other secluded into a learning track determined in second grade. Sure, at times I’ve wondered what our lives would have been like had one of us been placed in that track. We might have had entirely different groups of friends, the one who tested into the advanced courses probably would not have had as much exposure to the other 297 students that where later in our graduating class, and I’m almost positive we would’ve learned to place a different value on education than what each of us have today.

This personal memory caused me to ask the teacher if anyone had talked to the girls yet about how they were feeling knowing this was their reality... one family, one household set of core values about education, a sisterly bond I'm sure, and yet both experiencing a different pathway for learning. The conversation unfolded to thinking about the factors which may, or may not be, causing the girls to (re)act a certain way to conversations about school while at home, and not just about an issue of test scores documented in the front office. Sure, the conversation with the parents still needs to happen, but with empathy for these two students at the forefront of the conversation, I'm inclined to believe the result of the next conference may look/sound/feel a bit different than the first meeting.

So I ask you again, "What if we were all charged with telling/reflecting on the 'story of us'? What has shaped you? What significant memories from your upbringing have influenced what you stand for, believe in, and how you function as a member of society today?"  And as educators specifically, what charges you to do what's in the best interest for your students?


Peace, love, and flashbacks,

Sarah


P.S. While my parent's decision in this moment shaped the way I empathize with students and value their voice in learning, it ALSO created a strong desire in my heart to ensure teachers differentiate instruction to meet the needs of ALL students.... more on that in the next episode! 😉


No comments:

Post a Comment